Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Pavement Coffee House: Boston, Massachusetts

       

     As I walked down Newbury Street in Boston with my friends Jessica and Cassandra, I hardly expected to see a rustic coffee shop hidden in the mix of designer stores. Pavement Coffee House was just what I needed to find on that rainy day. It was nestled in the downstairs part of a brownstone right next to a Pinkberry, but the flow of costumers were clearly not there for frozen yogurt. The four ceiling-to-floor windows gave me a clear view of what to expect as I began to enter the cafe, but it was all for naught as I was again awed by the perfect ambiance that resonated throughout. There were window seats to my left with small tree stumps being used as tables for the coffee lovers. As you headed more toward your right you hit small intimate tables as well as the counter. The counter had wood paneling lining the outside and the chalkboard-like menu boards balanced this perfectly. 
                I stepped up to the counter trying to act as though I was a local (although the look of wonderment on my face was clearly showing otherwise). I scanned the menu. With prices comparable to many other coffee shops, the prices were around $3 for any latte, cappuccino, or steamer. I ordered a vanilla steamer from their huge selection of Counter Culture Coffee and lunch sandwiches and salads. I was a mere foot away from the bubbly employee who began making my steamer. With a toss of the vanilla bottle behind his back, giving the glass a splash of vanilla, he was the perfect bartender—of coffee that is. I again tried to make it seem as though I was a local but quickly failed doing so as I asked where the lids were when I received a cup with no lid. The employee was extremely nice as he pointed over to the wood framed counter with sugars, stirrers, and lids. I blushed as I knew my “local” façade had been broken.

                Every table in the coffee shop was taken. There were men meeting younger men for coffee telling them the in’s and out’s of life, there were woman with children trying to get that much needed shot of espresso before heading back out for a long day, and there were hipsters by the bucket load. There were mustaches, oxfords, secret coffee drinks only they know of and “I-don’t-listen-to-anything-mainstream” kind of bands playing on every iPod in the place. I was not complaining. So as I said goodbye to the man with the great blazer and impeccable shoes, (this was a mental goodbye of course seeing as we did not engage in conversation whatsoever) I headed out the door, happy, content and ready to go back. If ever in Boston you must surely make a stop to any three of Pavement Coffee House’s locations on Gainsborough Street, Boylston Street or as I visited, Newbury Street. I’ll see you soon, Pavement CoffeeHouse

1 comment:

  1. I've been going around boston looking for cafes to study. Pavement was one of the bookmarked cafes on my list. I usually order hot chocolates wherever I go, so here I have ordered a yummy hot chocolate coffee again .

    Kopi Luwak

    Thanks
    Finn Felton

    ReplyDelete